skate

This photo that I took today might need a little 'splainin'.  It's what's left of the ice skating rink at the Embarcadero Center in San Francisco.  I had seen it one day, about a month ago, with blasting Top Ten country music, the rink full of skaters -- giggling teenage girls, confident soloists, brave children, and that guy.  You know him, he's that guy at every ice rink and roller rink:  weird outfit, thin, about 37 years old, pony tail, and a fancy skating technique.  The guy that day was decked out in camouflage and inexplicable San Francisco 49er accessories. Oh, his arm flourishes were impressive, don't get me wrong, but I get the impression That Guy, though creepy as all get-out, is a little sad inside and is just trying to skate the pain away.

Back to today, I realized I never thought about what an ice skating rink must look like when it's being dismantled/melted.  There's a lovely metaphor in their somewhere, but the Hawaiian Airlines branding is making it hard to see.

Comments

Popular Posts